Pages

Wednesday 1 January 2014

Low Fat Hummus

I eat a lot of hummus.  If you make it yourself it's very cheap.  It's pretty handy for lunch and I often put a big blob on top of a salad and kind of use it as a salad dressing. But, often shop bought hummus is loaded with oil...so here's the recipe I use to make low fat hummus; using only 2 tablespoons of oil.

(P.S...I just had my niece visit and she spooned it into her mouth from the bowl so it must be nice!)


Ingredients + Instructions

  • 1 Can of Chickpeas
  • 1-2 Cloves of garlic (crushed, not thickly grated...you could leave this out if you didn't want to smell of garlic!)
  • 2 tbsp. dark tahini
  • 3-4 tbsp. lemon juice (I put in more as I love lemon)
  • 1/4 of the liquid from the can
  • 2 tbsp. olive oil ( extra virgin gives quite a strong taste so just use regular olive oil)
  • Salt and pepper to taste (I use a lot of seasoning as I think it needs it)
  • I have added a few sundried tomatoes to the mix on occasion and they make a really lovely sundried tomato hummus.
Pop all of the ingredients into a food processor and blend to your desired consistency.  I season to taste at the end and add more lemon juice if I want it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment